Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Paul arrives in England

Paul - Tuesday 27 Oct 2009. Arrived at Heathrow Terminal 4 at 5:05am. It didn’t take me long to clear Customs as it appears I was the only person not travelling on a UK/EU passport. I  found a young lady who looked at my passport took my entry card and through to baggage claim, then walked though an empty Customs hall and out. I checked my Mobile Phone and found it still didn’t work. Damn you Optus. 

Off to the underground to buy an Oyster Card, a quick trip to Houndslow to the Etap Hotel, http://www.etaphotel.com  a chain known for cheap, clean no-frills rooms, staffed by overworked, disinterested staff. I was told my room would not be ready until 10:00am so I watched the BBC read The Daily Telegraph, sent Heather and Issy, our friend who kindly to be cat sitter, an email. At 10am the staff had changed and I was informed my room would not be ready until 12 noon, but I could use the Luggage Room. I went for a 2 hour explore of Houndslow and had lunch at MacDonald’s (a Big Tasty) back to the hotel, checked in and had a very welcome shower and change of clothes. Suffering little Jet-lag I decide to go into London.


London IconsThe Great Clock of Westminster



The northern tower of Palace of Westminster is the Great Clock of Westminster, which houses Big Ben, the name of the largest bell. I was lucky to have clear skies on the day.


Known as the London Eye, or Millennium Wheel a 135-metre (443 ft) tall Ferris wheel situated on the banks of the River Thames. One of the left over photos from our 2009 UK trip.

Ex Serviceman

Poppies being sold to commemorate Armistice Day by a member of the The Royal British Legion

Changing of the Guard

Tower Bridge

Tower Bridge

All text and photographs are Copyright ©2009 Paul Anslow. All rights reserved. www.anslow.net

No comments:

Post a Comment